Night of the Dictatorships – Friday 12 September in The Hague
During the Night of the Dictatorships we take a close look at dictatorships all over the world, with activities such as debates, film screenings and lectures by international experts. The Night takes place on Friday 12 September from 8 pm onwards in The Hague.
Activities on five locations in the Hague
The activities are organized by ProDemos, Humanity House, Museum de Gevangenpoort, Atrium City Hall and Het Nutshuis. With more than 20 activities on five locations in the city centre of The Hague, the Night of the Dictatorships is bigger than ever. Besides the Dutch-spoken activities, there is also a range of activities in English for an international audience.
Some of the activities:
- Guided tours in a medieval prison by Rena Netjes and Sander Terphuis –at Museum de Gevangenpoort
- Impressive news photos of the World Press Photo –at Atrium City Hall
- See, hear and experience for yourself what it feels like to survive in an area affected by conflict or disaster –at Humanity House
- Scholar Felix Kaputu recounts how he escaped from Congo –at ProDemos
- Debate about Eritrea with former ambassador Andebrhan Welde Giorgis and Habtom Yohannes (Dutch journalist of Eritrean origin) –at ProDemos
- Documentary Dangerous Acts, about a resistance theatre group in Belarus –at ProDemos
- Documentary The Red Chapel, about two comedians in North Korea –at Het Nutshuis
- Interactive Theatre ‘Audience of One’ by Nicola Unger –at Het Nutshuis
For the full program, see http://www.nachtvandedictatuur.nl/Programma (in Dutch).
Tickets can be purchased online on https://reserveren.prodemos.nl/webshop/evenement/nacht-van-de-dictatuur-2014 (in Dutch).
Online sale: €10 - At the door: €12,50
A drink is included in the price. Students get a discount of €2,50.
- ProDemos, Hofweg 1, www.prodemos.nl
- Het Nutshuis, Riviervismarkt 5, www.nutshuis.nl
- Museum de Gevangenpoort, Buitenhof 33, www.gevangenpoort.nl
- Humanity House, Prinsegracht 8, www.humanityhouse.org
- Atrium City Hall, Spui 70, www.atriumcityhall.nl.
The Night of the Dictatorships is organized as counterpart to the UN Day of Democracy (15 September) to raise awareness about the importance of democracy and the rule of law. The Night of the Dictatorships is organized for the fourth time.